International Maritime Structures
We have extensive expertise in the buying, selling and management of ships as well as administering maritime related structures. We act for a diverse range of clients who use offshore arrangements as part of their international financing structures.
We provide all aspects of corporate management for maritime structures and actively administer a variety of different situations to suit clients’ needs. We engage commercial and technical agents to undertake the day to day operational management of the vessels under the Company’s administration.
Our clients include:
- Private and commercial ship owners
- Joint ventures
- Fund managers
We have experience of owning and managing many different types of vessel, including:
- Dry bulk carriers
- OBO carriers (oil, bulk and ore)
- Container ships
- Offshore drilling vessels
- Offshore support vessels
- Pleasure and super yachts
- Accommodation rig
Some of the benefits of holding vessels through offshore structures include to:
- Ring fence the costs and risks associated with catastrophic environmental issues.
- Hold the vessel off balance sheet through a stand-alone structure, should regulations not allow the client to hold vessels directly.
- Improve confidentiality and also for commercial reasons, where clients want to separate different areas of their maritime business.
- Warehouse distressed vessels until such time as the vessels can be sold.
- Provide an independent structure for investment in maritime, by way of a joint venture arrangement, syndicate, or through a managed fund.
- Use a jurisdiction that is favourable from a double tax treaty point of view.
- Hold the vessels in a structure for succession and inheritance reasons.
- Benefit from flexible or advantageous employment regulations.