Head of Risk & Compliance
Head of Risk & Compliance
Purpose of the job
To lead and manage the Guernsey Risk & Compliance team to identify, measure and assess risks and support the local management in taking ownership for managing and mitigating these risks.
The role-holder will lead Guernsey Compliance & Risk initiatives and manage all stakeholders to ensure the risk and compliance team functions consistently, collaboratively, effectively and in line with local legal regulations, Group policies and procedures.
The role-holder will work closely with the Operations Director in Guernsey, the Guernsey leadership team, the European Director of Risk & Compliance and other functional teams across the Group as required.
- Money Laundering Compliance Officer for the local Ocorian entities and for approx. 30 client regulated entities.
- Compliance Officer for the local Ocorian entities.
- Chair and voting Member of the Risk Committees and a non-voting Member of the Commercial Committees for the Trust and Fund entities.
- Providing leadership, guidance and mentoring to local Risk & Compliance team.
- Monitor relevant laws, codes and guidance notes to ensure policies and procedures comply with regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the monitoring and testing of AML and CFT policies, procedures, controls and systems in place to assess their appropriateness and effectiveness.
- Investigate any matters of concern or non-compliance arising from the Compliance Monitoring Plan (CMP).
- Establish appropriate controls to mitigate any risks arising from the CMP and to remediate issues where necessary and appropriate in a timely manner.
- Report to the Boards on compliance matters, including the results of the testing undertaken and any issues that need to be brought to the Boards attention.
- Primary point of contact with the Guernsey Financial Services Commission and to respond promptly to any requests for information made. Ensure all regulatory returns are accurate and timely.
- Primary point of contact for the local Data Protection Authority and the Channels Islands Financial Ombudsman.
- Provide training on Risk & Compliance topics.
- Ensure knowledge of risk and compliance management (to include AML/CFT regulations) is up-to-date to provide a first class advisory service.
- Support the European Director of Risk & Compliance and participate in group compliance and risk projects as required from time to time.
- Drive and promote a positive compliance culture and ensure that the 3 Lines of Defence model is understood and embedded in the organisation.
- Any other such duties that might be reasonably required for this role.
Knowledge, skills and experience
This is a senior position requiring in-depth risk & compliance management knowledge together with highly developed communications and influencing skills and detailed understanding of the regulatory regime in Guernsey.
The role holder should have;
- Experience in a compliance and risk management role, with management experience.
- Strong personal skills. Pragmatic, approachable and independent; able to apply tenacity where necessary.
- A relevant compliance qualification (e.g. ICA Diploma, ACAMS).
- In depth knowledge of the regulatory environment.
- Strong communication skills are required (oral, written and listening) in order to deal professionally with external and internal parties at all levels.
- Constructive negotiating skills – to be concise and assertive.
- An enquiring and analytical mind with good investigative skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be able to work under pressure occasionally, prioritise workloads and plan ahead to achieve deadlines.
- Be an efficient, effective team player.